Wednesday, September 3, 2014

The worst meal I ever ate

I'm going to start off my VeganMofo (belatedly) of travel food with The Worst Meal I Ever Ate, so I can get it over with and talk about delicious food from now on.
Admittedly, so I exaggerate a bit: it was bad but didn't kill me, and I'm fortunate enough to have enough to eat in a world where many don't, so maybe this is more like The First-World Worst Meal I Ever Ate. Or given that I have had some pretty bad meals before, I could call this The Worst Meal I Ever Ate Consider How Much It Cost.
This meal was one of many on a riverboat during a Rhine River cruise I was on in June. It was not my first choice of vacation, but I went because my dad cancelled and my mom asked me if I wanted to go instead. And it started in Amsterdam, so of course I was in! And despite the reassurances we got from the cruise company, they really didn't know what to feed me.
The dinner is question looks decent, but the piped decorative mashed potato on top was the best part. It also had roasted sweet potato wedges (not bad, but by then I'd had them for three dinners in a row), fried cubed tofu (second time in a row) and mixed vegetables. Not, as you may expect, hand-cut, fancy mixed vegetables that one might find on a fancy European river cruise, but the kind you find in a bag in the freezer. And when the waiter set it down on the table in front of me, someone at my table said, "Aren't those the vegetables from lunch?"
So I ate the entire bread basket for dinner, again.

3 comments:

  1. I had one of those meals in Wyoming recently while traveling, unfortunately. Great to see another vegan traveler here during MoFo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. URGH that is the worst when you are paying top dollar and they give you bad food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole-- woot! I'll come by for some vegan travel inspiration. :)
    Lazysmurf: yes! They did make some other, better attempts, and there was one night where I could eat the entire appetizer without alterations, but this was meal was certainly a low point.

    ReplyDelete