Saturday, January 16, 2010

Unrequited Market

I've fallen in love. Ohmigod, I've fallen in love, and I'm really, really full.

So in an effort to patch things up with my brother, we decided to voyage to the Green Barn Farmers' Market at Wychwood Barns, in the heart of Toronto. He raved it over Chirstmas, so to get in some quality time together, it seemed like a good idea to go somewhere that celebrates what we have in common: a deep and abiding love for food.

I'm always cautiously optimistic about finding vegan food, but the market blew me away. I found flatbread (which I'm not linking to because, frankly, it was a wee bit pricey), coffee and vegan chocolate, vegan muffins, samosas, kale chips (all that's left for the photo is the empty bag), and of course loads of winter produce.

I devoured 2 of the 3 samosas that I bought while still at the market, in order to further fill my belly with coffee (available without soymilk, but still very, very smooth). I ate the last samosa and the whole bag of kale chips mere minutes after getting back from the market... at which point I have realized I will have to build in bulk purchases of the stuff into my grocery budget. I am now drinking coffee made from the beans I bought at the market, and lok forward to the chili-chocolate later tonight.

Needless to say, I will be going back next week (which is good for my chip cravings and good for my relationship with my brother). Not only are kale chips and vegan chocolate calling my name, there is a cute, verbose young chocolatier who I now have a wee crush on. ...Looks like I will have to build bulk chocolate purchases into my grocery budget too!

2 comments:

  1. What a lucky find! I love it when you find a market place that caters for us vegans!

    Tahn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I had my choice of 3 kale chips flavours and found myself overwhelmed with options. It's nice for a change! :)

    ReplyDelete