Sunday, January 17, 2010

Brunch for dinner, Part 2


As we already know, I am fond of brunch. As in my pre-gan (that's pre-vegan, for you newbs out there in Blogland) days, I am fond of mixing up the proper order of meals. Call it a rebellious streak, call it a Saturnalia-style upending of things from their proper places, call it what you will: I love ending my day with breakfast foods.

Today, it's waffles. Straight outta Vegan with a Vengeance, I used my carefully-planned over-ripe bananas (I bought them last weekend for waffles this weekend) to make banana-oatmeal-raisin waffles. However, I dislike raisins, so mine are just banana-oatmeal. Due to a fortunate bout of cheapness some time ago (whole nutmeg was less pricey than ground) and the brilliant purchase of a kitchen rasp, I get to enjoy fresh-ground nutmeg goodness in my waffles. I suspect I may be bucking a trend here, since I prefer nutmeg to cinnamon. Don't judge.

Lest you think making waffles is difficult, let me be clear: it isn't. It takes a little time, but it's mostly waiting time, during which you can make berry sauce, tofu/tempeh bacon, hash browns, scrambled tofu, etc. In fact, it's so easy I'm making a double batch, so I can freeze the waffles and toast them for mad-rush weekday breakfasts. (See, I told you I was brilliant. And humble. And pretty.)

Here are E-Z steps for those of you who remain unconvinced.

1. Turn on waffle maker. Depending on your waffle maker, it may not take very long to warm up, or it may take a while. Either way, I feel confident saying you can make the waffle batter while the waffle maker heats up.

I also feel confident saying that you don't need to spend $100 or more on a piece of kitchen equipment to enjoy yummy waffles. My waffle maker was $15, and I love it. I've made bazillions of batches, and it's still going strong.

2. Make your waffle batter.

3. Pour batter into waffle maker (according to your waffle maker's instructions).

3. While your waffles cook, you can make your side dishes, etc. Or you can, you know, spend some very productive time on the interwebs. I won't judge.

Total time: about half an hour, depending on how long it takes to cook your waffles.

Taste of yummy waffles for dinner: priceless. (Or, you know, $15, plus ingredients.)

No comments:

Post a Comment