Thursday, November 15, 2012

Caeser, you creamy vegan minx

I had another inspiration today: vegan Caesar salad. I know it's not really original--that vegan cookbook default, Veganomicon, has a recipe, if I do recall--but I haven't tried it yet. Last night when I sprinkled store-bought vegan parm on my lettuce I thought, sweet Isa, why haven't I made vegan Caesar yet?
So tonight I did. I didn't even go to the grocery store first, or plan it out, which is so unlike me it makes me wonder if I'm coming down with something.
I just came home tonight and started cutting tofu into teeny tiny pieces for smokey-bacon-style tofu bits. This was also when I discovered that there are a billion vegan Caesar dressing online. Which is good, because I had no idea what to put in mine. In the end I used garlic, rice vinegar, balsamic vinegar, and vegan mayo. It was yummy, but a wee bit too garlicky--I recommend something less than a full grated clove of raw garlic for one portion, FYI. I should also have skipped the balsamic since it made the dressing brown and not that lovely creamy colour that photographs well. However the salad did give me a chance to use up some old bread for croutons--just toss bread cubes (smaller than you think they should be) in a little oil and toast in the oven. Then toss together with your fake'n bits and parm, and if you really want to replicate the full deal, slice some faux chicken and lay photogenically on top. Caesar, you must have been a delicious man.

No comments:

Post a Comment