Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Passive-agressive muffins

I went to bookclub on Sunday. It was like any other bookclub meeting: we gossiped, we managed to talk about the book a bit, and I was offered a shitty and/or non-vegan food to eat.
There's one person who always brings non-vegan things. The first time was when she brought cornbread to our Christmas meeting: she said she was trying to get through her new gluten-free vegetarian cookbook in the year, and if she made a vegan cornbread, she couldn't have used one from the book. So she just didn't bring anything I could eat.
The next time I recall was when she went to a gluten-free bakery. She noted the gluten-free cookies she brought were the best GF cookies she had ever had. And she brought some vegan ones from the same bakery, but they were healthy monstrosities, full of oats and flax and dates and nuts the taste of unfulfilled potential. I couldn't even bring myself to try them.
And the  on Sunday, she brought home made muffins. They had eggs in them, which is not surprising since she eats eggs and generally doesn't make vegan things to bring to bookclub. However this time the preamble was a little different. It went something like, I brought muffins with eggs in them, but they're eggs from my chickens, and I don't know why you're vegan, if it's ethical or.... And I said, "Thank you for offer". And no fucking way did I eat those muffins. Because I don't eat eggs.
The next day, I was talking to another friend from bookclub, and she eloquently articulated my outrage, despite not being vegan. It was something like, She doesn't agree with your ethical standpoint, so she made a food based on her ethical standpoint and thought you should eat the food she made.
And yes, I was pissed. We didn't get into it at bookclub, but if she'd asked me, I would have said: no, your backyard chickens are not independent of the pain and suffering I reject by being vegan. You adopted female chickens, but the male chickens that hatched with them aren't sitting happily in your backyard, they're dead. Which is why I don't eggs, period.
So I responded by making muffins. Monday night I made mocha muffins from Vegan Diner just so I could take a picture and blog about how easy it is to make vegan muffins. I call them passive- aggressive muffins--it's my specialty!

No comments:

Post a Comment