Thursday, October 11, 2012

The vegan's dilemna

I was at an event last week. It was in the middle of nowhere, two days long, and I was there for every meal. The first night was a potluck, so I brought a quinoa salad (chickpeas, veggies, avocado, dressing) to be sure there would be a least one thing I could eat. There was luckily more than one things I could eat: there were also raw veggies, green salad, couscous salad, and a soup that the organizer told me was vegan. Huzzah! I was a happy vegan.
I was less happy the following morning, when I discovered the only thing I could have for breakfast was peanut butter on toast. Okay, fine--I had that for breakfast almost every day for two weeks when I was on vacation in Italy. (An American expat we met while there said that for breakfast, Italians eat "a cookie." Not so vegani. Hence pb and toast for breakfast.)
By lunchtime I was really hungry. Lunch that day almost the same as dinner the night before, assorted salads, veggies, and soup, with only the addition of bread. That night for dinner, the vegetarians got veggie lasagna (with cheese), and the omnivores could choose between roasted chicken and stuffed cabbage rolls. I however got the same plate I'd had for the last three meals, with the addition of a few roasted potatoes (only after discussing whether the potatoes had butter on them). While I was checking out the spread, the organizer actually sad, "I guess I forgot to order something for you." So I ate my potatoes and my leftovers, again.
More pb and toast for breakfast the third day, and lunch was--guess what? Leftovers! I must have made a face when the organizer confirmed we were having leftovers--the same leftovers I'd had for what for me was the fourth time since we'd been there--since she turned away and made a frustrated pfffft sound.
So I apologized to her. I said, "I'm sorry if I made a face, but I'm hungry. The others get to choose 10 things for lunch, and I get two". I forgot to add that they were the same two things that I'd been eating for every meal since we arrived. She said she didn't know what to get for me; I replied that if she didn't know, she could have contacted me--since we speak on the phone a couple times a month anyway, and email at least as often, this would not have been a big deal--but even then, hummus would have been fine. "Oh, I forgot hummus."
This is the vegan's dilemna: how assertive do we be in demanding that we have food we can eat? No one wants to be the cranky vegan, whining about how our choices aren't being respected (when there are people starving, far away and close to home). But no one wants to be hungry either. And frankly, being hungry often leads to being the cranky whiner.
As far as this particular event is concerned, I think I've learned to contact the organizer in advance and just double-check. And in November, when I'll be at another event, in the middle of nowhere, this time for four days, I'm bringing some fucking hummus.

3 comments:

  1. I hear ya! I've only been vegan for 1.5 year but I *always* check in advance *and* I keep something on hand for when I'm hungry (i.e. non-refrigerate veggie dogs, crackers, nuts, dried fruit, granola bars). I'm afraid I still worry to be a pain in the A for others, but it's really not that much to ask, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I am invited out, I always do my research for vegan alternatives. Being hungry when nothing else is around is the worst feeling ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't note it but maybe I should have--I was at the same event last year, with the same organizer. And there was plenty of vegan food! Which is why I was not prepared to have a problem this year. Live and learn!

    ReplyDelete