Sunday, September 15, 2013

Musings: healthy and/or vegan

No photo tonight, [photo added] because I'm deep in thought. I'm thinking about the commentns on VegNews' link about accidentally vegan foods. I'm thinking about someone's reply to a twitter post I made and hashtagged "govegan". And I'm thinking about a friend of mine saying, "I couldn't live without cheese." And I know what you're thkinking: "FFS, Ms Avocado, you've been vegan 5 years and you still read the comments?? NEVER read the comments!"
Well, gentle reader, that is a good point. But I was really interested in VegNews' link to accidentally vegan foods, because I have been saved many a time by Oreos' accidental veganity. (The photo shows my airplane meal on flight back to Ecuador in the spring. Dinner of champions!) And I was surprised/annoyed/confused to see so many people who were surprised/annoyed/confused to see so much junk food in the list. "These foods are so unhealthy! They shouldn't be on a list of vegan foods. Because I conflate healthy with vegan even though anyone with a basic knowledge of venn diagrams can prove me wrong." But I think this goes back to my issue of terminology: plant-based does not equal vegan. While many people eat plant-based diets for health reasons and call themselves vegan, they "cheat" because, well, everyone cheats on a "healthy" diet. But they call themselves vegan, and then every single non-vegan on the planet has a story that goes something like, "I know this vegan, and one time she ate a bacon sandwich with dolphin meat and unicorn tears sprinkled on top. So you must bacon-dolphin-unicorn sandwiches, too, right???"
And when someone tells a story like that, we say, no, meat/dairy/egg/tears aren't vegan, we don't eat them; while no one can be perfect we do the best we can; and no, I"m sorry, while I appreciate that your cookies only have a small amount of rendered pork fat, I won't be having any, thank you.
So these people who are vegan for health reasons turn into healthy plant-based-diet police and verbally crap all over VegNews' very helpful accidentally vegan foods link. Because my way of living is the only way to live, right? If I'm eating vegan for health reasons, everyone else must be doing the same thing, right??
Sigh. Such is human nature. Incidentally, would you like a full-of-fat-and-sugar vegan cupcake?

No comments:

Post a Comment