Monday, October 3, 2011

The best things in life are simple

They say the best things in life are free. After spending two blissful but expensive weeks in Italy last spring, I have to say I don't necessarily agree with that statement. However, I think the Italians would agree that the best things in life are simple. A long walk in nature, spending time with loved ones, sharing a delicious meal: these are things without which life would be far less happy.
And so this brings me to panini: considering the intro, you might think I was going to go into the history of panini, what's considered a "real" panini, how all those inauthentic panini-makers out there are disgracing the name...But no.
While I did eat some sandwiches in Italy-- some flat and heated, some not--I am by no means an expert. And besides, I tend to consider myself a contemporary foodie: I borrow from other cultures and traditions at will, take what works for me and what I like, and adapt as needed for what's available and what is, of course, vegan. So I don't really know that much about traditional panini. I belive traditional panini includes meat and cheese, but when I make panini I fill it with veggies. Panini are an excellent way to jam my meal full of vegetables, and a panini press is an excellent way to cook those veggies.
If you don't have a panini press you can use your oven for both grillign the veg and making the sandwich itself. But if you do have apanini press, here's how I do it:
Slice your preferred veggies--I prefer zucchini, eggplant and peppers of various colours-- about a quarter-inch or half a centimeter thick. Grill them on the panini press until softened, then layer them in your bread of choice--lately I've been using the thin-style burger/sandwiches buns you can fnd at the grocery store these days. Add your favourite vegan cheese (mozzarella-style Daiya is pictured) and some kind of flavour, like pesto, tapenade, or dressing; then assemble and grill until warmed through and melty.
It is such a simple meal, but is one of the best things I eat--share it with loved ones, and it can be one of things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment